Saturday, January 2, 2010

Twinkies or Jesus?

At this time in my life, it is hard to imagine that there was a day when donuts and Twinkies were something that I not only craved, but also consumed with wreckless abandon. I worked at a job (Riverside High School) that required me to "unlock for the [Hostess] bread man" at about 6am (the cafeteria kitchen), and in doing so, I would buy one of those little "half-dozen" boxes of "old-fashioned" donuts a few times each week. He also had Twinkies on the truck, but I leaned towards the donuts. Because I could not choose one flavor over the other, I rotated between the chocolate and vanilla glaze. They were gone within the hour, along with the chocolate milk (2% of course).

Francis Chan (remember his "Crazy Love" book I began reading months ago?):

"Imagine going for a run while eating a box of Twinkies. Besides being self-defeating and sideache-inducing, it would also be near-impossible. You would have to stop running in order to eat the Twinkies. In the same way, you have to stop loving and pursuing Christ in order to sin."

He goes on to point out that, as we begin to focus more on Christ, loving Him and others becomes more and more natural. As long as we are pursuing Him, we are satisfied in Him. It is when we stop actively loving Him that we find ourselves restless, "and gravitating towards other means of fulfillment."

Think about it.

No comments: