Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A Time for Every Purpose...

Hello Friends!


We're moving soon, and since so many have asked for "details," I decided to just post them here.


On July 5, I submitted my resignation from my position at New Hope, in order to accept the invitation to begin a new season of ministry. Here is a synopsis of what's happening...


I have been given the opportunity to return to what has always been my passion in ministry: full-time Music and Worship Arts– at Salem Church of God in Dayton, Ohio. I will serve there with Senior Pastor Bob Moss, and a wonderful ministry team.


Although I had set-aside full-time music ministry in 2001 to come to Portland and to New Hope to serve as Executive Pastor, my heart has never diminished in desire to one day again have the opportunity to serve and lead a music ministry that would include blended worship, choir and orchestra.


A secondary consideration in making the decision to accept this invitation is that it brings us within a drive to mom and dad -and all of my family- and at this season of all of our lives it will mean much to us and to them to once again –after 27 years “away”– be in such proximity.


Finally, this is a return to the denomination of my birth, my childhood and youth, and where I hold my ordination to ministry.


The season of the past ten years at New Hope has been a blessing to me and to Michelle, as well as a wonderful time of personal growth, healthy challenge, and seeing the Lord bear fruit –often through us– in those ministries where we have been fortunate to serve. I have been blessed with an awesome facilities team, the wonderful operations/admin/finance staff, our weekend experience teams, "the 815" support team, an amazing recovery ministry family. You all will hold a special place in our hearts. Serving with and on the Lead Team has been a huge honor as well.


I truly will miss serving here, everyone’s support and friendship in ministry, and will miss some amazing milestone celebrations that I know will be experienced in the coming season at New Hope! But then I am reminded that God is at work all around us –even across the country– and am reminded also that there is a church in Dayton, Ohio that has been praying for their future as well. For some reason, quite humbling to me, it seems that He has chosen us to be a part of fulfilling His plan at Salem Church. Thus, where He leads, we will follow.


Accepting this new role means that I would conclude my tenure at New Hope most likely on Sunday, August 14.

I am so grateful that some ten years ago, God allowed us the blessing of coming to Portland and to New Hope to begin making some of the most cherished friendships one could ever experience. He didn’t have to do that at all, but he did, and I am ever so thankful!


As you might imagine, a change such as this brings a lot of logistics, challenges, and effort; we covet your prayers as we say goodbyes, “let go” of so many people and places we have come to love, and “work through” all that comes with a move. Specifically we are praying that our house here would sell quickly; we know that God is even now preparing that family to find this treasure…their new home… just as we did ten years ago this month.


We'll be in touch!


-D


Salem Avenue Church Website

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My question to you, David, is; did you go looking for this opportunity or were you contacted by this church because they heard about how great a musician you really are?

David Slamp said...

Dave and Michelle, Although we will miss knowing you are in the northwest, Kathy and I want to wish you the very best! Music truly is 1 of your many fortes... Actually, it's a fortissimo, now that I think about it. Love you guys so much, and wish you the very best. David and kathy